Thursday, November 09, 2006

A Treat for Cold Weather



okay, so as an obsessive knitter (a title that anyone I know will verify), I tend to go a little overboard. The latest manifestation of this has been a ridiculously easy yet extremely gratifying pair of fingerless gloves, found in the summer 06 edition of Knitty (the best online knitting magazine EVER!). For the gloves I was feeling cheap, and instead of the cashmerino blend advised (which admittedly felt like a dream) bought a skein of Lamb's Pride worsted weight yarn in avocado green which is a personal favorite. As an added benefit, I have so much of it left over that I might just make another pair! There was some cabling involved, but it is minimal and easy, and the end result is pure magic. The pattern can be found here, and is definitely worth the effort. The only thing I modified was to extend the knuckles to accommodate my hefty hands, and that was done by repeating the last five rounds again (including the cable).

Also, please note the "Anthrax Kills" mug that I am holding - Spencer found it at Value Village last year, and it adds just the right sense of doom in the mornings... maybe it wouldn't be Martha's first choice, but it works just fine for us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glorious, pictures!!
I just wanted to say that this is a wonderful blog, and may be the first ever blog that interests me enough so that I will check it daily.
I'm not sure if the grammer on the scentence was correct and I appoligize it is was not.
Also, that last picture of spencer is otherworldly and sends chills down to my feet. Or maybe that is my wet pants.
Are those his hands?
signed, your dutyful reader.
Kina Smith